Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Short and Last Blog Post

I did enjoy the last film, La Noire de, we watched for the class; directed by Ousmane Sembene, the "Father of African film." I still don't feel the film entirely convinced me that this woman had no other option but suicide though. It never tried to explain what would happen if she just left, but this may just be because It would've been more clear to the audience at the time and location of the film, so c'est la vie... or maybe such is death (don't know the french for that). This point, though, is why I enjoyed an earlier effort by Sembene, Borom Sarret, much more. It's a short film of around 2o minutes about a wagon driver; I loved how the film just showed another day on the job and how easily it can take a turn for the worse. It puts the poverty of the city right in your face and it also contains, like La Noire de, extensive use of voice-over. Check it out sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment