Monday, February 14, 2011

"Because we can"

I found the Stepford Wives to be a decent film, but enough of it didn't add up for me so that I wasn't thrilled with it. Basically the men just did not seem realistic and I couldn't get past that. We're supposed to believe that these men who love their children, and at least used to love their wives, could conspire to kill and replace the mother of their children with sexy robots. I could only believe someone would do that if they were presented as cold-blooded but the men, for the most part, weren't. We even saw Joanna's husband struggling with the grief at times (when he's crying and tells Joanna he loves her early in the film).

Now to my point... I absolutely loved Dis' response to Joanna when she asks him why they did it. Rather than try to justify what they've done (saying it's for the greater good or some bs like that) he responds with a very cold, "because we can." I found this to be the highlight of the film because we finally see the face of the evil of whats been going on. I liked this response so much that it saved the movie for me because we finally had a clear villain, or evil mastermind, we could point to.

Did anyone else react in this way? Or does anyone else share my critiques of the men in general?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with this idea that the men and their thought process was completely left out of the plot of the story. Hitchcock left the impression that these men were more concerned with being a part of the 'in-crowd' that when it came to struggling with getting rid of their wives, all they had to do was have a glass of whiskey and maybe shed a tear. I was left frustrated at the end of the movie when I didn't know what the men had discussed in order to go through with replacing their wives with robots. The interesting part to the whole equation too, is that it seems that these men are portrayed as desiring the perfect rather than the real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly had a hard time to believe these out of shape, balding men were with such beautiful women in the first place, or at least in the case with Joanna's husband and the pharmacist. It always made me wonder when you watch sitcom's you see these unrealistically beautiful women as their wives, it just seems off balance in the first place. Especially when you look at the average middle class women of today, they don't look nearly as good as in sitcoms but the men in sitcoms are realistic. And for the men in the film to want something more then what they already scored just seemed unbelievable.
    -Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Cassie. It seems to be the norm of today's society to portray unattractive men with "trophy wives". Joanna was already way more attractive than her husband, yet he still wanted the mechanical version over her. The movie didn't add up in that respect.

    ReplyDelete