Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Stepford Wives

I know we discussed The Stepford Wives a little while back, but one thing has stuck out to me and I was going to see if anyone else wondered this. I thought the movie did a poor job with showing how Joanna's husband came to the decision of having his wife killed and replacing her with a robot. It seemed that, in the beginning,he was very in love with his wife and it didn't really make sense that he would want a submissive, "perfect" wife, especially since he married such a strong-willed woman.

I just find it very odd that he would even consider it and I think the movie should have shown the process of him coming to that decision, but maybe this contributed to the suspense of the film and wouldn't have left us guessing until the end.

3 comments:

  1. I think you are right about the whole "leaving us in suspense" thing. It could be an issue putting too much of the husband's or any male figure's (especially the guy in charge of the whole system)thoughts on what is really going on. The fact that we are seeing this from the female's perspective, the ones that this is actually happening to, gives us that "rat in a cage" kind of feeling that the women are feeling, therefore adding to the effects of the rising action and inevitably the climax. Who's going to be the next to just mysteriously alter in personality, to become the next robot? Fear stems from ignorance...ignorance is what keeps us in the wives' shoes. -MT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely and I touched on the same idea in another post. Because of the ending with Dis' I was led to believe that Dis somehow convinced the men to do what they did. I would have liked to have seen this process, however, and I agree that not including it took away from the film. It just doesn't make sense if a good guy all the sudden turns into a man who can kill his wife. This transformation would have been exciting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. on a side note, I found the portrayal of Joanna in the original movie much more enjoyable/realistic than the newer version of stepford wives. In the new one, these over-the-top stereotypes assure the audience that this could not happen to us. Instead, it gives us the distance to criticise them. We think that all three could stand to lighten up a little. The viewer almost agrees when a Stepford woman tells Joanna: "You're too driven. You're selfish. I can fix you." In the original movie, Joanna and Bobbie weren't too ambitious or "too" anything. They were just trying to be themselves when everyone was telling them to be something else. I find this a more raw portrayal.

    ReplyDelete