Sunday, February 27, 2011

Persona...one person or two seperate people??

A little while back in class we had the discussion about if you thought Elisabet and Alma were two different people or one person. A lot of the movie led me to believe that they were two separate people that were becoming one person psychologically by taking on each others personality; but the one thing I did not understand is at the end of the movie, only one person (Alma) got on the bus to leave. Just that little scene makes me want to believe that maybe that the two were one in the same. What are your thoughts on this? This movie still leaves many questions in my mind which surprisingly doesn't bother me. I think movies are more interesting when you are left to figure out what you think the movie meant than having a definite answer.



-Danielle Holub

2 comments:

  1. To answer your question at first I thought that Elizabet and Alma were two distinct figures throughout film. However, after going over the film in class and getting a second chance to watch over some clips I came to the conclusion that both female characters were one. In class we mentioned this idea of death being associated with the color black and white (angel/ghost). The scene where Elizabeth walks into Alma's room was not only chilling to watch but it gave the impression that Elizabet was merely a figment of Alma's imagination. Also, the viewer is not certain whether Elizabet was the one who told Alma to go to bed, which leaves us wondering is Elizabet real?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the scene that made me think the most was when Elizabet's boyfriends supposedly came to visit Elizabet. And Alma was telling him that she wasn't Elizabet. I'm not sure if he was a real or not, but this scene made me think that maybe Alma and Elizabet were the same person. Throughout the whole movie Alma was the only one talking. Again, it's another movie leaving only questions instead of answers.

    ReplyDelete