Monday, February 28, 2011

Involuntary Memory in film vs. literature

Monday's discussion was about Proust and involuntary memory and we were asked the question "did you think the film portrayed involuntary memory well?". I would say that the film was a pretty good adaptation from the novel but I still feel that you can get more from reading the novel than watching the movie. I honestly am one of those people that would rather see the movie instead of reading the book because I feel I don't have time to read a book and it is much easier to see a 2 hour movie. On the other hand though, when compared to watching a really good movie to reading a really good book, I always seem to get more "in to" the book. Meaning I get more wrapped up in the story line of a book than I do when watching a movie.

-Danielle Holub

1 comment:

  1. Agree, the writing was more valuable to me. Normally I would rather see the film than read but with Proust, it was not the case. He does such a great job of describing every situation. Instead of saying he ate some cake, he makes the reader experience eating cake. If the audience can experience what he is then it gives the story credibility.

    ReplyDelete