Sunday, April 3, 2011

Contempt-Cross cultural relations

I didn't get a chance to make this point in class the other day because we ran out of time, but I wanted to bring up the scene where the two movie producers are meeting and walking the movie lot. It struck me as very odd the way Prokosch is speaking and touching Javal through out this interaction. I definitely get the point that he is arrogant and doing these things to establish dominance in their working relationship, but it seemed off to me in execution. From having worked with translators in the past I felt very uncomfortable watching Prokosch hold Javal's shoulder while he is listening to the Italian translation of his most recent statement. To me it would have been more effective to have made this first exchange of words more laid back, especially with the thought that Americans, men in particular, typically aren't very touchy upon first introductions. Javal however seems perfectly at ease with the entire exchange. I would find it more natural for him to have at least been taken a back by the things Provosch was demanding and asserting, if not showing discomfort at the delivery. My reasoning for discomfort I think comes from my desire to fall into the movies I watch, and when subtle interactions do not match up with my experiences, especially with regards to culture, it pulls me out of the experience a little bit. With that said though, what do y'all think? Does this exchange fit in with the tone and theme of the rest of the film? Did this scene strike you as odd or did it work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment