Monday, April 4, 2011

Tracking Shots in Film

I think for me the tracking shot is a way to have the audience member to be more involved in the scene. The tracking shot makes it seem like you're actually there watching the couple argue in Contempt like you would in real life. It's not telling a story to you by cutting to different shot scenes. It's one whole scene. For me, that makes all the difference. It draws you in more than ever. It really gives the audience the opportunity to be in the scene in a way. It makes it more exciting, or makes the audience more nervous as in Contempt. I found this on youtube a long time ago and I thought I should share. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8kqNSQn5QU It's from Revenge of the Warrior and it's labeled the best one-shot fight scene. I would only watch the first half since it's all in one shot. But techniques like this really makes the audience more involved in the scene. I think stuff like this is amazing since it really allowed cinema to evolve to other tracking techniques with our current technology. For example, Carousel is an awesome tracking shot for a TV advertisement. If you haven't seen it, I would highly recommend watching it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5yhxqkJiAQ&feature=related Something to think about. Olga Martinez

2 comments:

  1. I agree, having one long tracking shot can be much more powerful than cutting several shots together. In the fight scene you posted the long shot creates the effect that the audience is floating through the scene. It has a very "omniscient" quality because the camera flows freely and appears to be all places at once. As a viewer you are certainly more absorbed in the action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. Earlier I posted a short of Godard's called Weekend, where it is a 7 and 1/2 minute long tracking shot of a traffic jam. And its surprising how interesting the shot is because of the fact you pay attention to the motion more carefully and its at a steady pace that leaves you wondering what happens next.
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete