Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Deckard is a Replicant? Make up your mind!!!

Upon doing research, it was confirmed by Ridley Scott that Deckard was indeed a replicant.
But really, it's all up to interpretation from the audience on whether they believe this or not.

I watch all of my movies on Netflix, and so I watched the theatrical version of this movie. And I didn't see the whole unicorn scenes because I believe it was put in the movie later. So it never occurred to me that Deckard was a replicant. But the fact that they changed the movie to add those scenes shows that the director wanted to tell the audience that he was indeed a replicant.

Here are the youtube videos for references:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7o0rvVxU0w&feature=related

Turns out Tyrell was suppose to be a replicant as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CkiDuHrxsM&feature=related

I guess I have to watch both versions of the movie to understand what any of these people are talking about. But it still doesn't make sense because Deckard was portrayed as weak compared to the other replicants. Personally, I think the movie staff can't make up their minds.

Olga Martinez

5 comments:

  1. I did not realize that till later either. It turns out it makes perfect sense though. It is one of those things where you would not make the connection easily on your own then all of the sudden it all makes perfect sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting because this idea is never present in the original story. Ridley Scott intended the movie to lean more towards Deckard being a replicant, but Harrison Ford and the Producer wanted Deckard to be a human.

    The unicorn scene is the linchpin of both arguments. When the asian man, Gaff, makes the Unicorn origami some interpret it to mean that he is privy to the shared dream of the unicorn because that dream was implanted.

    On the other hand, some interpret the unicorn origami to be a coincidence, or a concept that unifies the two "races". It's a universal concept that further blurs the line between human and replicant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I find odd is that if the unicorn dream is a memory implanted in Deckard, why is it a unicorn? What I mean, is why is it fantasy? The other dreams we hear of are spiders in webs with baby spiders and such; these are memories that one can experience and are real. People don't see unicorns running through real forests and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! That's a good question. I read somewhere, and I can't remember where, that there was actually a unicorn in Sebastian's place. Apparently in this movie, the audience needs to pay attention to the background to figure out all the clues that the movie gives that Deckard is a replicant. It's like playing I-Spy but for clues. I never saw the unicorn in Sebastian's place. But then again, I was paying attention to the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you Olga I think that it doesnt make sense as to why deccard would be a replicant because he is so non replicant like. He just doesnt react the same way that they do.

    ReplyDelete