Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Persona and Carl Jung

I was studying for a personality exam and I came across this that really reminded me of the movie Persona. Besides the fact that it has the same name as the movie.

Carl Jung developed the idea of analytical personality which was his theory of personality. In his work, he said there were four main archetypes that are universal experiences contained in the collective unconscious. The first one was the persona archetype. He said it was basically a mask we wear to present ourselves as someone different than who we really are.

He also described that that the persona archetype can be harmful. He claims that instead of merely playing the role, we may actually become that role. So eventually the ego will recognize and identify with the role instead of the person's true self. So eventually we come to deceive ourselves.

I thought this was particularly interesting because I believe Alma and Elizabet is the same person. Which makes me think that Alma/Elizabet was deceiving herself throughout the whole movie of who she really was. But then again, I'm not sure what the answers to the movie really are since I believe it's left open for interpretation.

Olga Martinez

1 comment:

  1. I agree that alma and elizabet seemed to be the same person throughout the movie. I too felt that they were never really sure who they were and at times pretended to be someone other than themselves. It was quite confusing at times.

    ReplyDelete