Thursday, March 3, 2011

"The Hours"

I really enjoyed this movie, like others we have watched, you are tossed into the middle of the plot and are forced to figure it all out. Virginia Woolf's character struck me particularly in the end of the movie. When asked by Leonard Woolf why a character had to die she replied, "So that we all appreciate life". It seems as though all of the characters are having personal problems constantly throughout the movie. Laura Brown is debating on committing suicide periodically while Clarissa Vaughan clearly has a couple of mental breakdowns of her own. We all know that Virginia Woolf was unstable with trying to kill herself and overall somber attitude. I think her idea of having death to remind us of life is valid, what better way to truly evaluate ones own life than to have death staring at your face.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was a very powerful moment when Laura Brown sits up in her hotel room, saying "I can't do it." The idea of the will to live overpowering the stress and trauma in her life really connected with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely, I had not thought about it as death staring you in the face but that is exactly what it is. I do believe that she gets the impact that she wants in having someone die.

    ReplyDelete