Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Last thought on Blade Runner

One last post from me on Blade Runner.

In the movie, it seemed like the whole planet Earth was just one big slum that are inhabited by poor people and rejects. It's interesting, because I believe all of the rich people that could afford to leave the plant had left. Sebastian was unable to leave because he had a biological defect. Which gave me the idea that perhaps the replicants weren't made to create some sort of higher race. The corporation was probably making a superior race with the humans by sending them to another planet if they had the money and the genes.

One of the things that I noticed was in the hustle and bustle of the streets of Earth. I have not seen ONE child in the movie. Usually in a busy area like that, especially in this day of age, you're bound to see one kid with their parents. I don't remember seeing any. Which made me wonder just where in the world they were.

Eugenics? Perhaps?

Hmmmm....

2 comments:

  1. Interesting point on the absence of children! Reflecting back, I don't recall any either. I think this even further proves a theory I talked about earlier about the isolation of humans in the film. The only characters that seem to even show loyalty and being a family like unit are the replicants themselves. The only childlike figure in the film was Sebastian with all his toys, and the replicants sort of adopted him at first.
    -Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed the absence of children as well!! For some reason, throughout this movie, I couldn't help but think of that movie "Gattica". I know that it didn't have any replicants in it, but it was a movie in which your genes mattered. Bladerunner did have a eugenics vibe, and I think it set the tone for a lot of movies in the future

    ReplyDelete